di Rosa Center for Contemporary Art occupies 217 acres of the original 465 acres of land purchased by Rene di Rosa in 1960. The property was originally part of the huge Rancho Huichica land grant. The current property, carved out of that grant, was purchased by William Winter in 1855. He planted about 70 acres of grapes and olive trees. In 1884 the property was purchased by two Frenchmen, Michael Debret and Pierre Priet, who named it the Debret Vineyard and built a stone winery in 1886. Phylloxera (root louse) at the end of the 19th century ended those vineyards and the stone winery was eventually used for other things including growing mushrooms, making moonshine, a granary, and ultimately a hay barn. When Rene bought the property, the land and stone winery had over the years fallen into disuse and disrepair.
Rene di Rosa’s purchase of the acreage turned the land from dairy cattle and reestablished grapes once again. Beginning with the purchase in 1960, he converted the stone winery structure into a house, adding interior rooms, doors, windows, and a bell tower. The property’s lake began as a pond dug by WPA workers in the 1930s for irrigation in the surrounding area. Rene built a dam and extended “the pond” into a 35-acre lake, naming it Winery Lake.
In 1963 Winery Lake Vineyards was established. Vines eventually covered some 250 acres and the quality fruit was sought by over 50 wineries. Rene sold these famed vineyards to Seagram in 1986, using the profits to establish the Rene and Veronica di Rosa Foundation with the vision to build an “art park” for the greater public. As a manifestation of that vision, di Rosa opened to the public in 1997 and became a separate nonprofit 501(c)3 organization in 2000. Originally known as the di Rosa Preserve: Art & Nature, the organization changed its name to the di Rosa Center for Contemporary Art in 2017. The property encompasses multiple galleries and a sculpture meadow and is protected in perpetuity under the Napa County Land Trust.